It is a combination of our differences that shape our view of the world, our perspective and our approach. Diversity is also about recognising, respecting and valuing differences based on ethnicity, gender, age, race, religion, disability and sexual orientation. At Penns, we focus on the importance of..
A school culture where people embrace diversity in the classroom that can positively impact the school community. When this happens, a school community creates a safe, supportive and purposeful environment for students and staff which, in turn, allows students to grow — academically and socially.
In an increasingly fragmented society, the ability to connect with peers, colleagues and neighbours with diverse backgrounds and abilities is invaluable. Diversity improves critical-thinking skills, builds empathy and encourages our pupils to think differently.
How do we ensure diversity at Penns primary?
1. We re-evaluate our teaching materials
2. We know our pupils
3. We are willing to address inequality
4. We connect with our families and community
5. We meet diverse learning needs
6. We support professional development opportunities
7. We champion differences
Our Diversity Ambassadors say...
1. We learn about different religions in our RE lessons e.g. Christian faith, Islam and Sikhism etc
2. We celebrate Black History Month and learn about significant black people who have contributed in our history and now
3. We have a range of books in school from a range of authors from different backgrounds
4. We have books in school that are about ALL children e.g. boys, girls, children from different cultural backgrounds, no outsiders book (LGBTQ+)
5. We explore how we are all different in school and that is ok
6. The teachers make us feel that we are all treated fairly in school
7. We are a caring school and we all accept each other for who we are and what we believe
8. We are willing to help each other across the years if needed e.g. in the playground if anyone is hurt or sad
We can't live without diversity
We are a small school, but we can make a BIG difference